- The steering gearbox was very worn out and had been remounted several times. In my opinion, the stock steering system was not dependable .
- Disconnected steering assist valve and removed stock gearbox.
- So, this is what is left after years of someone trying to remount and repair the original steering system.
- I'm going to replace the stock steering control system with a steering control valve from a Kubota 900 RTV I bought off ebay a few years back. I plan on mounting it so the connections are just proud of the bottom of the floor pan. I want to keep the new hydraulic lines as tight to the floor pan as possible for a clean look and good clearance.
- I started by removing the seat and then removing the cab for better access. There are only four bolts holding the cab to the chassis. The cab removal can be done by one person if you hold it right and don't have a bad back :) . However, I would recommend a two person lift. The front of the cab needs to be lifted over the controls and steering column and then the whole thing can be walked away.
- The floor pan needs to be removed and then the heater/tool box can be removed. There's only a few bolts holding it all together. Take your time or you'll break them off. This allowed me really great access to the whole front hydraulic system from the top. Better than trying to crawl under.
- What the heck are we looking at?
- New power steering setup. New hydraulic steering valve and mount. The original steering mount tube and frame need to be cut out and new steel welded in. Steering wheel shaft will be coupled to the steering valve. The steering valve will be plumbed directly to the steering cylinder.
- The starter on my running machine is worn out and the gears grind quite a bit when I start the machine. I decided I'd better remove it and rebuild it before I break something else. I thought I could use the one from my parts machine but that one was rusty and worn out as well. I bought some parts to try to rebuild them but then gave up. This is what is left of both of them.
- I had a local alternator shop use the parts I had from two starters to build one good starter. He did a great job.
- I installed the starter on my THD and even after two years it fired right up. It was nice to hear the engine purr again.
Steering Cylinder Project
- The steering cylinder (1718003) needed to be rebuilt. It was in ok shape but the seals all needed to be replaced. To be expected after all this time.
- The cylinder repair company said a new rod would cost about $600 so I decided not to have them build one right now. Pretty pricey but I'm sure it would last for another 50 years if properly maintained. The rod in this cylinder had bad pitting and was bent.
- I did pick up some new seal kits which I will install in the cylinder. I also picked up a bunch for the store.
Lift Cylinder Project
- The lift cylinder (1718003) needed to be rebuilt as well as all its seals were well worn. Yes, they are the same cylinder with different ends screwed on to them.
- The cylinder repair company said a new rod would cost about $600 so I decided not to have them build one right now. Pretty pricey but I'm sure it would last for another 50 years if properly maintained. The rod in this cylinder was still pretty smooth but was bent.